The Controlled burn of the dam is now scheduled for 10:30 am on Friday, 1-29-2021
Hello to my Callender Lake and Hickory Hills Neighbors.
There has been some confusion on the Prescribed Burn I have proposed to conduct. Let me try to allay any fears you may have.
When I became a member of the CL Board of Directors, I became aware that both communities were together spending $3500-$4500 annually for vegetation control on our lake dam. A plan to conduct a burn on the dam is to save both communities the costs of that operation. That plan has been presented to and approved by both Boards to accomplish that goal and both communities will participate.
Controlled burning has been around for centuries. Native Americans burned the native prairie grasses regularly to promote new growth and control un-wanted vegetation. This enhanced the grasses for the Bison upon which their livelihood was based. While a student of Forestry at Stephen F. Austin S.U., I was required to complete two full semesters in the Control and Use of Fire. In my professional career of some 45 years, I have conducted hundreds of controlled burns without major incident. I am confident that we can effectively control the vegetation on our dam as required without cost to either community.
I have heard of concerns of initiating a “California” type wildfire and subsequent erosion. Those west coast fires were primarily of their scrub brush and native forests and were a result of extreme fire weather and lack of planning and preparation by land managers in that region. Like the native prairie burns, our fire will burn only the tops of the grass and not the base; leaving the “tufts” and root systems to re-grow. I expect very little, if any, erosion from our burn.
Weather and fuel condition are the key factors for a successful burn. The weather services available today on my smart phone are so accurate now that the field instruments once used are outdated. First choice for wind direction is generally from the south.This will push the fire toward the water. Easterly and Westerly winds are doable as well. A speed of 8 to 15 mph is within prescription. A north wind would blow smoke toward Hwy. 2339 and is not acceptable. Relative humidity of 30% to 50% is preferred. Fuel conditions will have to be determined the day of the anticipated burn.
The planned date for the burn depends on the weather …. So there isn’t a set date. I can get a 2 or 3 day forecast that will give us a bit of lead time but these activities are “go when ready.” Folks from Hickory Hills and Callender Lake have offered to assist with monitoring and controlling the margins during the burn and are very much appreciated.
The Edom Volunteer Fire Dept. has been informed of our plan and will be on standby. Edom Volunteer Fire Dept. may send a unit if they are available. Our insurance company is also aware of and have no issues.
If you have an interest and/or want to assist, you are welcome.